Rudy Eugene identified as 'face-chewing' naked man fatally shot by cops on Fla. highway
(CBS/AP) MIAMI - Police in Florida have identified the naked man who they say officers fatally shot after he refused to stop eating another naked man's face on a downtown Miami highway ramp.
Officials are now looking for more witnesses to fill in the blanks on what led to the grisly scene in which a witness reported that a man - identified as Rudy Eugene, 31 - savagely chewed on another man's face and growled when an officer kept telling him to stop.
"We know that there were many people on the MacArthur Causeway and we're hoping they come forward," Detective William Moreno told The Miami Herald on Monday.
Witness Larry Vega was riding his bicycle Saturday afternoon off the MacArthur Causeway that connects downtown Miami with Miami Beach when he saw the savage attack.
"The guy was, like, tearing him to pieces with his mouth, so I told him, 'Get off!'" Vega told Miami television station WSVN. "The guy just kept eating the other guy away, like, ripping his skin."
Vega flagged down a Miami police officer, who he said repeatedly ordered the attacker to get off the victim. The attacker just picked his head up and growled at the officer, Vega said. As the attack continued, Vega said the officer shot the attacker, who continued chewing the victim's face. The officer fired again, killing the attacker.
A surveillance video camera from The Miami Herald building nearby captured images of the men's naked legs lying side by side after the shooting.
"It was just a blob of blood," Vega said. "You couldn't really see, it was just blood all over the place."
Miami police have released few details about the weekend attack, other than confirming that there was a fatal officer-involved shooting. The victim of the bizarre attack, who has not been identified, was hospitalized in critical condition.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths