Estrella Carrera Death: Arnoldo Jimenez, suspect in bride's murder, may be in Mexico, police say
(CBS/WBBM/AP) CHICAGO - Police in the Chicago area say Arnoldo Imenez, the man accused of stabbing his new bride to death almost two weeks ago, may be in central Mexico.
According to CBS Chicago, Burbank Police Capt. Joe Ford says police have received tips that Jimenez is in central Mexico.
"That's where his family is from," he said. "His parents are there and a bunch of relatives are there - in a town called La Campana in the state of Durango.
"We know he's traveled there on several occasions in the past."
Ford says the tips come from people in the Chicago area who still maintain ties to their native home in that same part of Mexico, CBS Chicago reports.
Jimenez is accused of stabbing Estrella Carrera to death just hours after their wedding. Carrera's body, still clad in the silver sequined cocktail dress she wore to celebrate their wedding, was found in her bathtub.
Most of Carrera's family disapproved of her relationship with Jimenez, even though he was the father of her 2-year-old son.
Jimenez had hit and bruised Carrera in the past, an older sister, Jazmin Carrera, told the Associated Press. Police also said family members reported incidents of violence while the couple was dating.
Jazmin Carrera described the 6-foot, 220-pound Jimenez as "very possessive" and jealous. She said she doesn't understand why her sister married the 30-year-old Jimenez in what seemed like a rushed ceremony or why she married him at all.
CBS Chicago also reports that there's a $10,000 reward for information leading to Jimenez' arrest.
Anyone with information on Jimenez' whereabouts should call Burbank police at 708-924-7300.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days