Remy Gonzalez, "Cake Boss" star Buddy Valastro's brother-in-law, sentenced in sex assault case
(CBS/AP) MORRISTOWN, N.J. - Remigio "Remy" Gonzalez, brother-in-law of Buddy Valastro of the TLC reality TV show "Cake Boss," has been sentenced to nine years in prison for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl in New Jersey.
Gonzalez, 34, of East Hanover, was sentenced Wednesday after a judge refused his request to withdraw the guilty pleas he made in June to two counts of aggravated sexual assault. He also must register as a sex offender.
In seeking to withdraw his pleas, Gonzalez admitted he was guilty of some illicit acts. But he claimed his former lawyer pressured him into admitting certain acts he didn't do.
According to an arrest affidavit obtained by The New Jersey Star-Ledger, Gonzalez was arrested in Aug. 2010 after detectives met with two witnesses who claim Gonzalez admitted to them committing multiple assaults on the teen.
The two witnesses claim the assaults occurred in March in East Hanover and Florham Park.
The TLC show "Cake Boss" focuses on Buddy Valastro as he manages his bakery business in Hoboken, NJ, along with his big Italian family, who run the shop with him. Gonzalez has appeared on the show as a cake decorator.
Morris County prosecutors say Gonzalez will likely be deported to Mexico once he's freed from prison.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case