Estrella Carrera Murder: Arnoldo Jimenez has history of abuse, murdered wife's family says
(CBS/AP) CHICAGO, Ill. - Over 30 law enforcement agencies have joined federal agents hunting Arnoldo Jimenez, who is suspected of stabbed his new wife to death and leaving her body in the bathtub.
Jimenez, 30, secretly married Estrella Carrera last Friday at Chicago City Hall, and allegedly killed her just hours later.
Carrera's family asked police to check on her well-being after she failed to pick up her two children Saturday. Authorities found Carrera's body in the bathtub of her Burbank apartment, still clothed in the dress she wore to celebrate her wedding.
Jimenez called his sister that same day and tearfully said he had left his bride bleeding after a "bad fight," reported The Associated Press. He then hung up and wouldn't pick up when she called him back.
Most of Carrera's family allegedly disapproved of her relationship with Jimenez, even though he was the father of her 2-year-old son. Police told the AP that the family reported incidents of violence while the couple was dating.
Jazmin Carrera, Estrella's older sister, told the AP that Jiminez had hit and bruised her sister in the past. She described the 6-foot, 220-pound Jimenez as "very possessive" and jealous, and doesn't understand why her sister married him at all.
Captain Joseph Ford of the Burbank Police Department told the AP that Jimenez was previously arrested for domestic violence in another city in a case that did not involve Carrera. Jimenez was last seen driving a black 2006 Maserati.
Police are pleading with Jimenez to turn himself in "for the sake of his family and especially his children," Ford said. "I am sure they are very concerned for his well-being."
Jimenez is charged with first-degree murder.
Anyone with information on Jimenez' whereabouts should call Burbank police at 708-924-7300.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Hofstra Univ. student, suspect killed in home invasion
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias' lawyers tried to quit, judge wouldn't let them
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman