Florida Family Massacre: 911 call shows neighbors wouldn't help kids before Tonya Thomas killed them
(CBS/AP) ORLANDO, Fla. - A 911 call released on Wednesday reveals that neighbors of a Florida mother refused to let her children in their house before the mother called for them to come home, where she fatally shot all four before killing herself.
The caller said she was confused about who was doing the shooting when on Tuesday, Tonya Thomas, 33, shot 17-year-old Pebbles Johnson, 13-year-old Jazlin Johnson, 15-year-old Jaxs Johnson and 12-year-old Joel Johnson, before taking her own life in their home in Port St. John, Florida.
A Brevard County Sheriff's spokesman told The Associated Press that three of the children went to a neighbor's house early Tuesday morning to say their mother had shot them.
But according to the 911 call, the female neighbor said she heard one child say the youngest child shot their mother. Later, she said the children told her husband that their mother was shooting at them.
Amid the confusion, the caller warned the children not to enter her home.
"Get back, you're not coming in our house," she can be heard saying in the recording.
The caller's husband told the dispatcher that the children were frantically trying to enter their house.
"I don't know who has the gun, so I'm not walking out there," the 911 caller's husband said to the dispatcher. "I'm armed but not going out there and putting myself in danger."
When the caller's husband grabbed his gun and ran outside, he said he saw one child bleeding at the front door.
The child went back when Thomas called for her children to come home. When deputies went to Thomas' house, they found her dead of a self-inflicted wound. Three of her children were found shot dead inside the house and the fourth was found fatally shot in the front yard of a neighbor's house.
Authorities told the AP they have no motive for the killings and are not sure why the children followed the mother's orders to return to their house.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly