Jerry Sandusky tries again to dismiss child sex charges in Penn State case
(CBS/AP) HARRISBURG, Pa. - Jerry Sandusky again asked a judge Wednesday to throw out the child sexual abuse charges against him, arguing that some counts are too vague to defend and others involve alleged victims whose identities have not been determined.
The trial of the former Penn State assistant football coach is scheduled to get under way in less than three weeks, although the judge has yet to rule on a separate motion from Sandusky asking for a delay.
In the filing, defense attorney Joe Amendola attacked the charges related to a person described in court records as Victim 2. The boy's encounter with Sandusky in a Penn State locker room a decade ago, and school officials' response to it, ultimately led to the dismissal of longtime football coach Joe Paterno, who died this winter.
Amendola wrote that the charges related to Victim 2 cannot be sustained based on the testimony of Mike McQueary, an assistant football coach who has said he saw Sandusky sexually abuse the boy in a team shower. McQueary's testimony at a preliminary hearing in December for two Penn State administrators accused of lying to a grand jury and failing to properly report suspected abuse "did not establish sufficient evidence to support these charges being submitted to the jury," Amendola wrote.
The date of that encounter had been listed in court records as March 2002 until last week, when the attorney general's office amended it to February 2001.
Amendola also argued that that prosecutors will not be able to show there was any sexual contact with a boy labeled Victim 6. The boy showered with Sandusky in 1998, authorities said, prompting a complaint by his mother to university police that produced an investigation but no charges.
Amendola told Judge John Cleland that he does not expect prosecutors to be able to "establish that any sexual contact took place" between Sandusky and Victim 6, "and the commonwealth will not be able to establish any criminal intent."
As for so-called Victim 8, allegedly seen in 2000 by Penn State janitor Jim Calhoun being molested by Sandusky, Calhoun suffers from dementia and is not able to testify, according to a report by the grand jury that investigated Sandusky. Amendola argued that will require Calhoun's co-workers to testify about what Calhoun told them, which would amount to hearsay that is not allowed as evidence.
Sandusky, 68, faces 52 criminal counts for alleged abuse of 10 boys over 15 years, allegations he has repeatedly denied.
Sandusky's lawyers are apparently running into problems getting information about phone records related to the alleged victims, and Amendola asked Cleland for a court order directing telecom companies to produce material sought by defense subpoenas.
The defense filings on Wednesday also renewed a request for early release of grand jury material, and asked the judge to order prosecutors to respond to 14 supplemental pretrial discovery requests made earlier this month.
Also pending before Cleland is a request made last week by Amendola to delay the start of trial, which is currently scheduled to begin in Bellefonte, Pa. with jury selection on June 5.
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments