Florida Family Massacre: Five people found dead in Florida home, authorities say shooter among them
(CBS/AP) PORT ST. JOHN, Fla. - Deputies called to a Florida home because neighbors heard gunshots found a person shot dead in the front yard, then found more people fatally shot inside the house, authorities said Tuesday.
Lt. Tod Goodyear of the Brevard County Sheriff's Office said that when deputies first found the person in the front yard, they set up a perimeter around the home in Port St. John.
After setting up the perimeter, officials saw someone at the door. That person went back inside, and then more gunshots were heard, Goodyear said. When officers went inside, that's when they found the other four bodies.
Goodyear said deputies believed that the shooter was among the dead and that a person was not running loose outside.
"The investigation is ongoing and very sensitive with five fatalities," Brevard County sheriff's Maj. John Mellick said in a statement, CBS affiliate WKMG reports. "The scene is secure and there is no further threat to the community."
The names and ages of the dead had not been released because relatives had not yet been contacted. But Goodyear said all five people either knew each other or were related. A motive also was not disclosed.
Deputies had been at the home a few weeks ago on a domestic call after a neighbor called 911.
Port St. John is about 15 miles west of Cape Canaveral in an area known as the "Space Coast" because it is the home of NASA's Kennedy Space Center, home of numerous famed shuttle launches.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student