Ken McRoyal, U. of Idaho football player, shot dead at L.A. artists' venue
(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Police detectives are searching for the killer of University of Idaho football player Ken McRoyal, who was shot to death in downtown Los Angeles early Sunday morning.
The Los Angeles County coroner's office said McRoyal was shot during an argument. Details are sketchy, but police said there was a verbal altercation between McRoyal and at least four men, CBS Los Angeles reported. One of them opened fire, shooting McRoyal and another man who was shot in the arm.
The participants had been attending a photo shoot to promote a new woman's clothing line. The incident happened around 130 a.m. Sunday at the Brewery Lofts, a living and working space for artists.
McRoyal was a receiver at Idaho after two seasons at El Camino Junior College. He earned a football scholarship for the 2012 season, and his former coach John Featherstone told CBS Los Angeles that he could have played in the NFL.
Idaho coach Robb Akey told the AP that McRoyal's loss is devastating. "We've lost a brother, a teammate, a family member. But, more importantly, a momma lost her son today."
Police are seeking a motive for the shooting.
Dominique Blackman, McRoyal's cousin, is trying to make sense of the killing.
"They took somebody who meant a lot to our family and not only to our family but to a lot, to college football, to this community," Blackman told CBS Los Angeles. "He's a Katrina survivor. He's bigger than that - he's a father, my friend."
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Bulger's attorneys grill admitted killer John Martorano
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted