Adam Mayes, kidnap-slaying suspect, was investigated for child sex abuse in 2010
According to records from Madison County Sheriff's Office in Jackson, Tenn., Adam Mayes was accused of child abuse and possessing child pornography. A family member claimed to have seen Mayes nude as he shaved the legs of a nude 7-year-old girl.
Mayes denied the allegations and he was never charged. An investigator concluded the claim about the abuse, as well as the allegation he had child pornography, were unfounded.
Mayes died Thursday night after authorities who tracked the 35-year-old to a wooded area Thursday evening said they repeatedly ordered him to surrender but he pulled out a pistol and shot himself in the head.
Mayes was pronounced dead and sisters Alexandria Bain, 12, and Kyliyah Bain, 8, were rescued. This ended a nearly two-week search that began when Jo Ann Bain and her three daughters disappeared from their Tennessee home April 27.
Mayes' wife, Teresa Mayes, is now facing six felony counts in the case: two first-degree murder charges and four especially aggravated kidnapping charges. She told investigators that after she saw her husband kill the mother and oldest daughter in the garage at the Bain home. She then drove him, the younger girls and the bodies to Mississippi, according to affidavits filed in court.
Mayes' mother, Mary Mayes, has also been charged with conspiracy to commit especially aggravated kidnapping. Mary Mayes' attorney, Terry Dycus, said his client maintains she is not guilty.
CNN is reporting that three other people have been arrested in connection to the case.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers