Sierra LaMar search expands to local waterways after two local kidnapping attempts found to be unrelated
(CBS) MORGAN HILL, Calif. - Sheriff's dive teams are now searching small ponds and waterways for missing 15-year-old Sierra LaMar. Investigators also say that they do not believe two recent kidnapping attempts in Walnut Creek and San Jose are related to the girl's disappearance, reports CBS San Francisco.
On Tuesday, Sheriff's Sgt. Jose Cardoza announced that investigators had recovered a red Volkswagen Jetta they believe to be linked to Sierra's disappearance. The car has been seized and is undergoing a forensic examination.
Two recent attempted kidnapping cases had been looked at as possible connections. In the San Jose case, a man driving what police described as a red, compact passenger car tried to kidnap a 16-year-old girl using some type of electric device, possibly a stun gun, police said.
In the second case at Walnut Creek, a man driving a faded red older-model compact sedan tried twice in two days to lure a 13-year-old girl into his car.
The first time, on the afternoon of March 14, the man approached the Walnut Creek Intermediate School student after she got off of a school bus. He spoke with her and offered her a ride but she declined.
The next day, the same girl saw the man waiting near the back gate of her school as she was leaving for the day. Police tried to locate the man but he was not found.
Investigators have not named a suspect or person of interest in that case.
Anyone with information about Sierra LaMar or her whereabouts is asked to contact Santa Clara County Communications at (408) 299-2311. During business hours, tipsters can call sheriff's investigators at (408) 808-4500 or the anonymous tip line at (408) 808-4431.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen