Kristin Leone, N.J. high school teacher, arrested for alleged sex with student
(CBS/WCBS/AP) CLIFTON, N.J. - New Jersey high school teacher Kristin Leone has been arrested for allegedly having sex with a 16-year-old student, prosecutors said Wednesday.
Investigators determined the 26-year-old Clifton High School history teacher engaged in sexual conduct with the male student on at least two separate occasions. Police launched an investigation into the allegations on Monday, Passaic County Prosecutor Camelia Valdes told CBS New York.
Leone was arrested Monday and charged with sexual assault, endangering the welfare of a child, two counts of criminal sexual contact, luring and enticing a child, and two counts of official misconduct. She was released Monday night on $100,000 bail.
Parents and students expressed shock over the allegations.
"That's disgusting, that's unacceptable, that should never happen," one parent told the station.
Clifton High School has had more than its share of sex scandals. CBS New York reports that in the past year, at least three girls have claimed to having been raped or sexually assaulted by other students on campus. In 2010, the former principal was accused of exposing himself to the mother of a special needs student during a meeting about her child.
Leone faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence