Thomas Prusik-Parkin, NY man who dressed as dead mom to collect her checks, convicted of larceny
Parkin, 52, of Brooklyn, has been in jail for three years had rejected a plea deal that would have freed him, reports the New York Daily News. He now faces up to 83 years behind bars.
According to the Daily News, a jury took less than a day to convict Prusik-Parkin.
Prosecutors say Parkin doctored his mother's death certificate after her 2003 death to make it look as if she were alive. He even dressed as his mother and went to the Department of Motor Vehicles to renew her driver's license. The Daily News reports that jurors were shown pictures of Prusik-Parkin wearing a blonde wig and red dress at the DMV in 2009.
The mother, Irene Prusik, had deeded her house to Parkin but he failed to make the payments and it was sold at foreclosure.
Prosecutors say Parkin sued the new owner in his mother's name, alleging real estate fraud.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home