"Bronzed" NJ mom Patricia Krentcil pleads not guilty to putting daughter in tanning booth
CBS New York reports the 44-year-old did not speak during her brief court appearance, except to say "Thank you, your honor, have a nice day."
Krentcil has denied the charge, saying she would "never permit" her daughter Anna to go tanning.
"My client is 150 percent innocent," said Krentcil's attorney John D. Caruso Wednesday. "That child was never in that tanning booth."
The mother of five has previously admitted to bringing Anna into the salon but said she's never allowed the fair-skinned girl into the tanning bed.
"It didn't happen," Krentcil said. "She's 6-years-old. Yes, she does go tanning with mommy but not in the booth."
But according to prosecutors, Krentcil took her 6-year-old to a tanning salon near her home actually brought the child into a tanning bed, causing a slight sunburn.
When a school nurse asked how she got it, Anna simply said "I go tanning with mommy." Police were then called and Krentcil was arrested.
Krentcil calls it all a misunderstanding and said her daughter got the sunburn from playing in the backyard.
"Look at my daughter's picture, she's as pale as a ghost, she has red hair," Krentcil said outside court Wednesday. "I'm a great mother, I'm a wonderful mother. I would die right now for her."
Meanwhile, Anna is still living with her mother.
"She's home, they're not taking her away. She's home," Krentcil said.
Anyone under the age of 14 is prohibited from using tanning salons in the state of New Jersey.
Krentcil's next court appearance is set for June 4.
More on Crimesider:
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Details surface about Zimmerman jury candidate pool
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple