"Bronzed" NJ mom Patricia Krentcil pleads not guilty to putting daughter in tanning booth
CBS New York reports the 44-year-old did not speak during her brief court appearance, except to say "Thank you, your honor, have a nice day."
Krentcil has denied the charge, saying she would "never permit" her daughter Anna to go tanning.
"My client is 150 percent innocent," said Krentcil's attorney John D. Caruso Wednesday. "That child was never in that tanning booth."
The mother of five has previously admitted to bringing Anna into the salon but said she's never allowed the fair-skinned girl into the tanning bed.
"It didn't happen," Krentcil said. "She's 6-years-old. Yes, she does go tanning with mommy but not in the booth."
But according to prosecutors, Krentcil took her 6-year-old to a tanning salon near her home actually brought the child into a tanning bed, causing a slight sunburn.
When a school nurse asked how she got it, Anna simply said "I go tanning with mommy." Police were then called and Krentcil was arrested.
Krentcil calls it all a misunderstanding and said her daughter got the sunburn from playing in the backyard.
"Look at my daughter's picture, she's as pale as a ghost, she has red hair," Krentcil said outside court Wednesday. "I'm a great mother, I'm a wonderful mother. I would die right now for her."
Meanwhile, Anna is still living with her mother.
"She's home, they're not taking her away. She's home," Krentcil said.
Anyone under the age of 14 is prohibited from using tanning salons in the state of New Jersey.
Krentcil's next court appearance is set for June 4.
More on Crimesider:
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths