Disappearance of Madeleine McCann: Portuguese police have no plans to reopen case, official says
(CBS/AP) LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese police have not yet found any new evidence to merit reopening the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, a senior police official said Thursday.
The comments from deputy national police chief Pedro do Carmo followed a request from U.K. police that Portugal reopen the case of the missing British girl, who vanished during a family vacation in southern Portugal in May 2007 shortly before her fourth birthday.
Portuguese police closed the case the following year after failing to find out what happened to her.
British police now say their review of the case has identified almost 200 possible leads to be followed up.
Do Carmo did not definitively rule out ever reopening the case. But he told The Associated Press that detectives currently sifting through evidence gathered during the initial investigation have yet to find a reason to do so.
"So far, no new element has been found that might provide the basis for a reopening of the investigation" into the girl's disappearance, he said.
Do Carmo refused to comment on the British police's request, but said any new leads had to be "credible" for police to ask the Public Prosecutor to reopen the case. He declined to elaborate.
The Portuguese detectives are liaising with British police, but the Portuguese operation is "independent" and "autonomous," Do Carmo said.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.