Jennifer Hudson Family Murder Trial: Murder suspect William Balfour appears to cry in court
It was the third day of testimony in the trial and the first time Hudson's brother-in-law, William Balfour, has appeared to show any emotion. Balfour dabbed his eyes with a tissue in view of the jury as pictures of the blood-soaked body of Julian King appeared on a large courtroom screen.
Balfour was estranged from his wife, Hudson's sister, at the time of the killings. Balfour, 30, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Hudson's mother, brother and nephew.
Hudson spent much of the morning outside the courtroom, as prosecutors showed the photographs of Julian. She entered the courtroom after the photos were shown. Prosecutors often give victims notice that they are about to enter disturbing evidence to give them a chance to leave.
The boy, nicknamed Juice Box, was soaked in blood and two bullet holes were visible on the top of his head.
Prosecutors claim Balfour targeted the family in an act of vindictiveness against his ex-wife, Julia Hudson, the mother of Julian. They believe he became enraged by balloons he saw at the home that he thought were from her new boyfriend.
Defense attorneys have said the killing could be connected to alleged drug dealing by Hudson's brother.
With no surviving witnesses to the murders, prosecutors must offer overwhelming circumstantial evidence that Balfour committed the grisly crime on Oct. 24, 2008.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times