Brittany Killgore Update: Louis Ray Perez arrested on suspicion of murder in the killing of Marine's wife
(CBS/AP) SAN DIEGO - A Marine already in custody in the theft of an assault weapon was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of murder in the death of another Marine's wife, Brittany Killgore, police said.
The latest allegation against Louis Ray Perez came a week after the body of 22-year-old Killgore was found in a brush near a Southern California lake.
Sheriff's investigators identified the 45-year-old Perez as a person of interest shortly after the body was discovered.
The San Diego County district attorney's office said the case was under review.
Another suspect, Jessica Lynn Lopez, 25, pleaded not guilty to murder last week in connection to Killgore's death. She is now being held on $3 million bail.
Authorities have not said whether Lopez and Perez knew each other or whether they knew the victim.
Perez has been in the military for 16 years. He has no criminal history and is married. He has also lived in the San Diego area for about 10 years, according to what his attorney Jeff Reichert said in court last week. He is now being held on $500,000 bail in Vista, north of San Diego.
Perez was arrested on the weapons charge the day after Killgore disappeared. Prosecutors said he stole the weapon from a man in early February but have not indicated whether they believe it was used to kill Killgore.
Her body was found near Lake Skinner in Riverside County about 25 miles northeast of her modest apartment complex in Fallbrook.
She died less than a week after filing for divorce from Lance Cpl. Cory Killgore, a Marine who was in Afghanistan when she disappeared. She cited irreconcilable differences in her divorce filing which gave no other details.
Cory Killgore has not been named as a suspect or person of interest in the killing. The couple married in July 2010.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released