Verna McClain, Texas nurse accused of murder and baby abduction, denied bond
(CBS/AP) CONROE, Texas - A judge has denied bond for Verna McClain, the nurse accused of fatally shooting a young mother in suburban Houston and kidnapping the woman's newborn son.
McClain, 30, did not speak at a Monday bond hearing in Conroe, Texas. Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon argued the nurse committed a cold, calculated and premeditated murder.
Defense Attorney E. Tay Bond had asked for a bond of $100,000 or less for McClain.
The shooting last week outside a pediatric center north of Houston killed 28-year-old Kala Golden. Her 3-day-old son Keegan Schuchardt was then abducted but found safe hours later with McClain's sister.
The nurse had recently suffered a miscarriage, according to authorities. Officials in Montgomery County say McClain had told her fiance' she had given birth to his child. The sheriff's office said Wednesday that McClain tried to represent Keegan as her own child. Her sister allegedly told authorities that McClain had plans to "do the adoption" after taking Keegan.
Montgomery County Sheriff's Detective John Schmitt said McClain, who authorities say has admitted shooting Golden and stealing the baby, does "appear remorseful for what happened."
The kidnapped baby has been returned to his family, according to his father, Keith Schuchardt, who said he had been married to Kala Golden for three years.
McClain is a vocational nurse who has three children. She is estranged from the children's father.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case