Kelli Bordeaux Update: Police question registered sex offender Nicholas Holbert in investigation of missing Army soldier
(CBS/AP) FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - Police in North Carolina are questioning a registered sex offender and bar hand in their investigation of missing Army soldier Kelli Bordeaux.
Fox News reports 23-year-old Bordeaux was last seen leaving the Froggy Bottoms bar in Fayetteville on April 14. Officials at Fort Bragg reported her missing to police two days later.
Authorities interviewed Nicholas Holbert, 25, on Wednesday. Holbert is a registered sex offender who works at the bar and who said he drove Bordeaux home the night she disappeared.
Fayetteville police chief Tom Bergamine told reporters, "Mr. Holbert is one of the last persons that had contact with Mrs. Bordeaux. Anybody that last saw her on the early morning of Saturday is someone we want to talk to."
Holbert told ABC affiliate WTVD-TV that he dropped Bordeaux off at the entrance of her neighborhood like she told him too.
"As soon as you drive into the entrance to Meadowbrook, she said stop right here," Holbert told the station. "So I stopped and she said, 'I'll walk home.' I said, 'Are you sure?' She said, 'Yeah.' I said I figured she didn't want me to know where she lived, or somebody was there and she didn't want to be seen together."
It was reported Thursday that divers are searching a pond in Fayetteville as police continue their search. WTVD reports a tip led investigators to the pond.
Police and military authorities searched Wednesday along Ramsey street and the bar where Bordeaux was last seen.
A helicopter with the N.C. Highway Patrol circled the Carvers Falls area off Ramsey Street while about 50 lawmen and 65 soldiers searched thick woods in the area.
Bordeaux is assigned as a health service specialist with the 601st Area Support Medical Company, 261st Multifunctional Medical Battalion, 44th Medical Brigade. She has blond hair and brown eyes, was last seen wearing a pink tank top and black shorts, police said. She is described as 5-foot-1, weighing 102 pounds.
Anyone with information on her whereabouts is being urged to call police at 910-433-1856 or Crime Stoppers at 910-483-TIPS (8477).
More on Crimesider:
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Details surface about Zimmerman jury candidate pool
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple