Boy, 10, totes BB gun to fend off school bullies, gets charged with a crime, say Ohio cops
The boy, who was charged with the delinquency count Monday after police were called to an elementary school in the suburban Cincinnati village of Elmwood Place, also told police that some boys "stuffed him in a trash can" about a year ago, police Sgt. Kevin Vanover said. Vanover said that incident apparently was not reported to police.
The principal of Elmwood Place Elementary School called police Monday afternoon around the time school was being dismissed to report that at least five children saw the boy with the gun, and some of them thought it was a firearm. One child said the boy had told him that if he told anyone about the gun, he would shoot that person, according to the police report.
Vanover noted that the BB gun's orange plastic tip had been broken "and it did look real."
The boy, whose name was not released, remained in his mother's custody Wednesday while awaiting a Hamilton County Juvenile Court hearing on the charge, Vanover said. No date had been set for that hearing.
Vanover said the boy told them he had gotten the gun from his mother, who apparently did not know he had it. She said that the boy's uncle had broken the tip off.
The boy initially told police that he didn't have a gun, but then said he did have it in his backpack and showed it to a few students, according to the police report. He was then taken to his mother's home, where she handed the weapon over to police.
The St. Bernard-Elmwood Place School District released a statement saying that federal and state law prohibits school officials from discussing any specifics.
District officials intend "to fully investigate the allegations made regarding all of the students involved" to determine any violations of school regulations, according to the statement.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point