Judge Jessica Recksiedler steps down from George Zimmerman murder case
Circuit Court Judge Jessica Recksiedler issued a statement saying that she would step down from the case. Earlier this week, Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara, made a motion requesting the judge recuse herself based, in part, on her husband's professional relationship with Mark NeJame, a CNN legal analyst who has publicly commented on the case and was previously approached about representing Zimmerman.
According to a statement released by Florida's Eight Circuit Court, Judge John D. Galluzzo, the next judge in the rotation, has alerted the court to his own conflict on interest in the case. Galluzzo wrote in a Notice of Judicial Conflict that he should not preside over a case involving O'Mara, with whom he has had a personal and business relationship.
This means that Judge Kenneth R. Lester, Jr., will likely preside over the Zimmerman case.
George Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin on February 26. Zimmerman has said he shot Martin in self-defense. He is currently incarcerated and will appear in court for a bail hearing on Friday.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Bulger's attorneys grill admitted killer John Martorano
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender