Texas woman Verna McClain charged with capital murder for shooting mother Kala Marie Golden, kidnapping newborn, prosecutor says
According to Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Lignon, Verna McClain was charged early Wednesday in the death of Kala Marie Golden.
Golden's newborn was found safe hours later, according to police, who said the suspect sped off with the infant in a Lexus.
Lignon told ABC's "Good Morning America" that McClain's statement to investigators indicate the shooting was part of a plan to kidnap a child.
He says he doesn't think Golden had been specifically targeted.
The 3-day-old boy was found around 8 p.m. Tuesday about six hours after his mother, Golden, was shot and killed following an argument in a parking lot, D.A. Lignon said.
Golden was leaving the pediatric center after a checkup with her son, Keegan Schuchardt, around 2 p.m. when she and a woman in a Lexus parked next to her pickup truck began to argue, Montgomery County Sheriff's Lt. Dan Norris said.
Witnesses said the woman repeatedly shot Golden, took the infant and sped away, hitting the dying mother as she tried to reach into the Lexus screaming, "My baby!" Norris said.
Witnesses also reported hearing as many as seven gunshots and said a man was also in the sky blue or light green Lexus, which was blood-stained on the driver's side, Norris said.
Meanwhile, Golden's mother, Linda Golden, told the Associted Press Tuesday that she had been baby-sitting another of Kala's sons when someone at the scene called her using her daughter's cellphone. She rushed to the clinic but was unable to see her daughter because paramedics were trying to save her.
Linda Golden said her daughter died "trying to save her baby."
Ligon would not disclose where the infant was found, but he said it wasn't at a nearby apartment complex where officers wielding guns and riot shields searched on Tuesday evening.
Investigators were processing evidence Tuesday night at one apartment in the complex and they took away a vehicle that was parked in front.
Authorities late Tuesday were doing background checks on family members with the hope of returning Keegan to them on Wednesday.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web