Sarah Jones, former Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader, pleads not guilty to student sex abuse charges
(CBS) CONVINGTON, Ky - Sarah Jones, a former Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader indicted for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a high school student when she was a teacher, pleaded not guilty to sex abuse charges on Monday.
The Chicago Sun Times reports the 26-year-old Jones, the captain of the Ben-Gals cheerleading squad, pleaded not guilty in Kenton Circuit Court to first-degree sexual abuse. She also pleaded not guilty to unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual or other prohibited activities.
Meanwhile, Jones' mother was also indicted. Cheryl Jones faces a single charge of tampering with evidence. Cheryl Jones is the principal at Twenhofel Middle School and was placed on paid administrative leave, according to Dixie Heights Superintendent Terri Cox-Cruey.
MSNBC reports the indictment last week states the alleged sexual relationship between Sarah Jones and the high school student took place between Oct. 1 and Dec. 31. Jones resigned Nov. 29 from Dixie Heights, citing personal reasons, where she taught freshman English for about five years. She denied that anything happened.
"The student denies it. The parents of the student are upset that this has gone where it has gone. They don't have anything bad to say about Sarah. Sarah denies it," attorney Eric Deters said in December. "There's no victim. There's nobody saying 'Hey, this happened.'"
Each of the charges is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.
Judge Patricia Summe reduced Sarah Jones' $50,000 bond and Cheryl Jones' $30,000 bond to $15,000 each. She also required the pair to be placed on electric monitoring as a term of their release.
A pretrial date was set for June 11, with the trial scheduled for June 27.
More on Crimesider:
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released