Kimberly Saenz, former nurse convicted of killing five with bleach, awaits sentence
A jury in Angelia County found the 38-year-old guilty of capital murder in connection with the deaths and of deliberately injuring five others at a clinic run by health care giant DaVita, Inc. Monday, jurors will begin hearing evidence to decide her punishment.
Defense lawyers called nine witnesses, most of them attesting to Saenz's participation in her two children's school work and athletics. All were questioned briefly except for the final witness, a prison consultant who described Saenz's potential restrictions as an inmate serving life without parole.
According to CNN, the deaths took place in April 2008 when Saenz was employed at the clinic in Lufkin which is 120 miles north of Houston.
Prosecutors said she killed five patients by injecting them with bleach. Five others survived. Two witnesses said they saw Saenz use a syringe to draw bleach from a cleaning pail and inject it into the IV lines of patients.
Saenz did not take the stand at the month-long trial. Her attorneys argued she was being used as a scapegoat by the clinic to explain the unusually high number of deaths that April.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case