Former Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader Sarah Jones charged with sex abuse
(CBS/AP) COVINGTON, Ky. - Former Cincinnati Bengals cheerleading squad member Sarah Jones has been charged by a northern Kentucky grand jury with first-degree sexual abuse involving a student when she was a teacher at Dixie Heights High School.
According to the Kentucky Enquirer, a Kenton County grand jury indicted Jones, 26, on sex abuse charges. She was also indicted on a charge of unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual acts. These charges are felonies that are each punishable by up to five years in prison.
Her mother, Cheryl Jones, the principal at Twenhofel Middle School in Independence, was also indicted on a charge of tampering with physical evidence in her daughter's case. She was placed on administrative leave. Sarah Jones resigned from Dixie Heights High School in November.
Attorney Charles T. Lester Jr. confirmed he was representing Cheryl Jones and her daughter. In a written statement, Lester said both women will be pleading not guilty.
"Sarah has maintained her innocence. The indictment of her mother is completely baseless," the statement noted.
Both women were booked into Kenton County jail on Thursday. Cash bonds were set at $50,000 for Sarah Jones and $30,000 for Cheryl Jones. The daughter and mother are scheduled to be arraigned April 2 before Kenton Circuit Judge Patricia Summe.
Sarah Jones was in the news in 2009 when she sued online gossip site TheDirty.com and its operator, Nik Richie, after unflattering pictures of her appeared with allegations that she'd had sex with Bengals players and had two sexually transmitted diseases. The photos and comments had been provided anonymously.
Meanwhile, Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said the club is aware of the case and had no comment.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: 2 NY men arrested in alleged radiation terror plot