Former Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader Sarah Jones charged with sex abuse
(CBS/AP) COVINGTON, Ky. - Former Cincinnati Bengals cheerleading squad member Sarah Jones has been charged by a northern Kentucky grand jury with first-degree sexual abuse involving a student when she was a teacher at Dixie Heights High School.
According to the Kentucky Enquirer, a Kenton County grand jury indicted Jones, 26, on sex abuse charges. She was also indicted on a charge of unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual acts. These charges are felonies that are each punishable by up to five years in prison.
Her mother, Cheryl Jones, the principal at Twenhofel Middle School in Independence, was also indicted on a charge of tampering with physical evidence in her daughter's case. She was placed on administrative leave. Sarah Jones resigned from Dixie Heights High School in November.
Attorney Charles T. Lester Jr. confirmed he was representing Cheryl Jones and her daughter. In a written statement, Lester said both women will be pleading not guilty.
"Sarah has maintained her innocence. The indictment of her mother is completely baseless," the statement noted.
Both women were booked into Kenton County jail on Thursday. Cash bonds were set at $50,000 for Sarah Jones and $30,000 for Cheryl Jones. The daughter and mother are scheduled to be arraigned April 2 before Kenton Circuit Judge Patricia Summe.
Sarah Jones was in the news in 2009 when she sued online gossip site TheDirty.com and its operator, Nik Richie, after unflattering pictures of her appeared with allegations that she'd had sex with Bengals players and had two sexually transmitted diseases. The photos and comments had been provided anonymously.
Meanwhile, Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said the club is aware of the case and had no comment.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home