"Screwed up" parenting: Ill. couple accused of forcing boy to eat screws, do 1,000 pushups
Prosecutors in St. Clair County charged Lashawn Jennings, 39, on Saturday. Her husband, James Jennings, already had been charged with aggravated battery, domestic battery and child endangerment. He remains jailed on $400,000 bond.
CBS St. Louis reports police began investigating last week after the 12-year-old boy reported the alleged abuse to a nurse at an elementary school, who then discovered bruises on the child's back and arms.
Investigators said the child was beaten and tortured by Jennings earlier that morning at their home on Scott Air Force Base property.
The Belleville News Democrat reports that the boy was severely punished because he got crumbs on the floor after eating cookies. St. Clair County Sheriff's Office Capt. Steve Johnson said James Jennings beat the boy with a wooden paddle, made him eat screws and forced him to do over 1,000 push-ups as punishment. KMOV-TV reports that X-rays showed the screws inside the boy's stomach.
Authorities say Lashawn Jennings was in Florida at the time of her husband's alleged misconduct. She flew in from Florida and was interviewed and taken into custody.
She is being held on $20,000 bail. Investigators said they are also looking into allegations of previous abuse.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web