Texas girl's birthday party erupts in gunfire, one dead, seven others hurt
(CBS) ELLIS COUNTY, Texas - One person was killed and seven others were injured at a girl's birthday party in rural Ellis County early Sunday morning in what investigators believe was a fight over beer, CBS affiliate KHOU reported.
Four victims - including an 11-year-old child - were shot, two were stabbed and two others were beaten outside a home. All of the injuries were to adults, except for the 11-year-old.
"It doesn't make sense in a sane world," said Ellis County Sheriff's Office Lt. R.D. White. "That's why we're trying to sort it out."
Investigators think the violence erupted over an argument after the party ran out of beer. No arrests had been made because officers are still trying to piece together exactly what happened.
Lt. White said the violence appeared to break out between two different groups at a party for a child who was turning 15. Police responded to the home shortly after midnight Saturday, and said family members turned on each other using guns, knives, and even a brick, KHOU reported.
At least two handguns were fired in the dispute which lasted no more than five minutes. The fatality was an adult male, White said.
A bullet hit the 11-year-old in the stomach. Deputies expect the boy to survive.
In the rural neighborhood near Ferris, Texas, homes stand on several acres of land, and many neighbors know each other.
"It was terrible," said one. "Why do people bring guns to parties?"
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered