Texas girl's birthday party erupts in gunfire, one dead, seven others hurt
(CBS) ELLIS COUNTY, Texas - One person was killed and seven others were injured at a girl's birthday party in rural Ellis County early Sunday morning in what investigators believe was a fight over beer, CBS affiliate KHOU reported.
Four victims - including an 11-year-old child - were shot, two were stabbed and two others were beaten outside a home. All of the injuries were to adults, except for the 11-year-old.
"It doesn't make sense in a sane world," said Ellis County Sheriff's Office Lt. R.D. White. "That's why we're trying to sort it out."
Investigators think the violence erupted over an argument after the party ran out of beer. No arrests had been made because officers are still trying to piece together exactly what happened.
Lt. White said the violence appeared to break out between two different groups at a party for a child who was turning 15. Police responded to the home shortly after midnight Saturday, and said family members turned on each other using guns, knives, and even a brick, KHOU reported.
At least two handguns were fired in the dispute which lasted no more than five minutes. The fatality was an adult male, White said.
A bullet hit the 11-year-old in the stomach. Deputies expect the boy to survive.
In the rural neighborhood near Ferris, Texas, homes stand on several acres of land, and many neighbors know each other.
"It was terrible," said one. "Why do people bring guns to parties?"
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home