Police find cell phone of missing Calif. teen Sierra Lamar in a field
(CBS/AP) MORGAN HILL, Calif. - Authorities are now asking for the public's help in finding 15-year-old Sierra Lamar. She is a girl from Morgan Hill who was last seen leaving for school Friday morning.
Santa Clara County sheriff's officials say Sierra Lamar was reported missing by her family, who told authorities they last saw her around 6 a.m. when she headed off to Ann Sobrato High School. Sheriff's Sgt. Jose Cardoza said she did not show up for school that day and did not return home.
Fox News reports authorities say they have found Lamar's cell phone, discovered in a field a few miles from her home. Police found the phone Sunday by tracking its electronic ping.
CBS San Francisco reports Sierra is described as 5-foot-2, with a thin build, olive complexion and long dark hair. She was last seen with her Juicy brand black and pink purse. Police dogs searching for the girl lost her scent at the driveway of her home, according to the station.
Investigators say she does not have a history of running away from home.
The teen's sister, Danielle Lamar, said she does not believe her sister ran away.
"She's always in contact with family and friends. She wouldn't leave everyone out of the loop," Danielle Lamar said.
Anyone with information about Sierra or her whereabouts is asked to contact Santa Clara County Communications at (408) 299-2311. During business hours, tipsters can call sheriff's investigators at (408) 808-4500 or the anonymous tip line at (408) 808-4431.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt