Second man charged in shooting involving missing Mich. women Abreeya Brown, Ashley Conaway
(CBS/WWJ/AP) DETROIT - The Wayne County prosecutor filed charges last week against a man in a shooting that involved two Michigan women, 18-year-old Abreeya Brown and 21-year-old Ashley Conaway. Both of these women have been missing for almost three weeks.
The shooting occurred on Feb. 8, about three weeks before Conaway and Brown disappeared. Police believe they were abducted from a home in Hamtramck, Michigan.
Brian Lee was charged Tuesday with attempted murder. He is accused of firing shots into a car occupied by Conaway and Brown. Conaway was treated and released from a hospital.
It was not immediately known if Lee has an attorney. Meanwhile, co-defendant Brandon Cain, was charged on March with attempt to murder and other charges for allegedly instructing another man, Lee, to shoot at the two women.
Prosecutor Kym Worthy declined to comment when asked if she believes Conaway and Brown still are alive.
The two best friends haven't been heard from since Conaway sent a text message saying they were locked in the trunk of a car, CBS Detroit reports.
The station reports that Brown's stepfather, Charles McGinnis, called police about 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 28 to report that Brown and Conaway had been kidnapped. He said he had exchanged gunfire outside the home on Andrus Street with two men who abducted them.
According to the Detroit Free Press, police say Cain and another man came to the home Brown shares with her stepfather and Conaway. When the women refused to take money not to testify against them, a gun was placed to one of their heads and they were both forced into the trunk of a Chrysler.
More on Crimesider:
March 2, 2012 - Two Mich. women missing, suspected kidnapper charged in earlier shooting
March 6, 2012 - Cops search for clues in case of missing Mich. women Abreeya Brown, Ashley Conaway
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web