Alleged "Bling Ring" ringleader pleads no contest to celebrity burglaries
Prugo, 21, spoke softly as he entered a plea Friday in Los Angeles. His deal includes two years in prison.
The plea came in exchange for Prugo testifying against three other people in the so called "Bling Ring" suspected of helping him break into the homes of stars. Neigher Lohan and Patridge attended the hearing.
Prugo and others were accused of break-ins that netted more than $3 million in jewelry, high-end clothes, art and other goods. Most of the property has never been recovered.
Prugo has also been charged with conspiracy and burglarizing the homes of Orlando Bloom, Paris Hilton and Rachel Bilson, but those counts were dropped in exchange for his plea. He will be responsible for restitution awards stemming from the break-ins, prosecutor Christine Kee said.
"Nick is doing the right thing," his attorney Markus Mueller-Dombois said after the hearing.
Prugo will be sentenced May 4, or after the cases against the remaining defendants have concluded.
Two others charged in the case, Rachel Lee and Alexis Neiers, also accepted plea deals. Prugo said Lee helped plan the break-ins. She was sentenced to four years in state prison after pleading no contest to burglarizing Patridge's home.
Lindsay Lohan testified in the case in 2010, saying, "It wasn't about the things that were taken, it was just the fact that someone came into the only private space that I have in my life at this point."
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths