Chardon High School Shooting: Multiple students wounded at Ohio school
Civil deputy Erin Knife with the Geauga County Sheriff's Office says the shooting was reported around 7:30 a.m. Monday at Chardon High School. According to CBS affiliate WOIO, one student has been taken into custody. At this time, police say they do not believe there is a second gunman.
CNN is reporting at least three students were wounded when two people entered the cafeteria of the high school and opened fire just as the school day was beginning, police and a school board member said.
Three or four students were hit by the gunfire, said Larry Reiter of the Chardon Schools Board of Education. He did not know their conditions, but said helicopters had been called to take the injured to a hospital.
WOIO reports that the Chardon Fire Department has confirmed they were called to the high school for the shooting. The fire dispatcher said multiple students are injured.
Chardon High School as well as other schools in the area are now on lock down.
The Superintendent immediately canceled classes at all Chardon Schools. Students still on school buses were being dropped back off at their homes, and parents are being called to pick up students already at school.
Chardon is about 30 miles east of Cleveland.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen