Police searching for missing S.C. lobbyist Tom Sponseller focus on missing funds
(CBS/WLTX) Columbia, S.C. - Authorities say as much as $900,000 may be missing from an organization headed by a prominent South Carolina lobbyist Tom Sponseller, who disappeared last weekend, The State newspaper reports.
Sponseller, the president and CEO of the South Carolina Hospitality Association, was reported missing on Saturday, February 18 after relatives and friends were unable to contact him, reports CBS affiliate WLTX.
Sponseller reportedly was last seen at work in downtown Columbia around noon Saturday. According to WLTX, police found Sponseller's car parked outside of his workplace.
Law enforcement officials told The State that the organization's accounting director, Rachel Duncan, is a person of interest in the missing money investigation. Officials told the newspaper that more than $100,000 and possibly up to $900,000 was missing.
According to Fox News, court records show Duncan is currently being foreclosed on.
Columbia Police Chief Randy Scott told The State, "I am working on his disappearance, and we are following and tracking every lead. That is one of many leads or scenarios we have received."
Sponseller is a 6 feet 1 inch tall and weighs 160 pounds. He has gray/white hair, hazel eyes and typically wears glasses.
If you see Sponseller or know his whereabouts, you are asked to call CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-888-CRIME-SC.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- N.H. woman get 40 years in prison for child porn
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Cops launch child porn investigation at Calif. elem. school