Second girl dies after Los Angeles mom's alleged drowning attack
(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - Authorities say a 5-year-old Los Angeles girl has been taken off life support several days after her mother allegedly drowned her 1-year-old sister in a tub and attempted to drown her.
The 5-year-old was removed from life support Monday at Children's Hospital Los Angeles, said Officer Karen Rayner, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Police Department.
The girls' father, Jose Humberto Lopez, told KABC-TV that he decided to donate the 5-year-old's organs for transplant.
The girls' mother, 32-year-old Lorna Valle, was charged with murder and attempted murder Friday and is being held on $1.5 million bail.
Lopez told police he found his wife trying to drown the girls in a tub when he returned home from the store Wednesday morning.
Firefighters answering a 911 call found the girls unconscious and not breathing in a converted garage behind the main house. They were in a bathtub and had no pulses, fire department spokesman Erik Scott said.
They were given cardiopulmonary resuscitation and taken to a hospital, said Scott.
Doctors worked on both girls for two hours, but the 1-year-old died and the 5-year-old was transferred to Children's Hospital in critical but stable condition, said Katreena Salgado, spokeswoman for California Hospital Medical Center.
If convicted, Valle faces 50 years to life in prison.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths