Mark Berndt, California teacher accused of lewd conduct, scheduled to be arraigned today
Mark Berndt, 61, will be arraigned on charges of committing lewd acts against 23 children ages 6 to 10, from 2005 to 2010.
Berndt, who has not yet entered a plea, has been behind bars since his arrest on Jan. 31 and is being held on $23 million bail. He allegedly photographing blindfolded and bound students with semen-filled spoons held at their mouths and three-inch cockroaches crawling across their faces, among other bizarre images, reports CNN.
After Berndt's arrest, his colleague, third-grade teacher Martin Springer, 49, was also arrested and charged with three felony counts of committing lewd acts upon a child. Springer has pleaded not guilty.
According to CNN, Berndt and Springer's arrests prompted the school board to shutter Miramonte for two days, during which it reconstituted the entire staff.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call