Cops: House Josh Powell rigged to explode was "staged" to fool authorities
(CBS) - Authorities say the house Josh Powell rigged to explode, killing himself and his sons in an alleged murder-suicide, was a sham set up to fool social workers, the Tacoma News Tribune reported on Tuesday.
Pierce County sheriff's detectives said at a public meeting Monday evening that Powell rented the Graham, Wash. house to use for supervised visits with the boys, according to the paper.
"He set it up like a rental place, with pictures of the family," Sgt. Denny Wood reportedly said. "I think it was staged so when CPS (Child Protective Services) came, it would look like a loving family."
According to the News Tribune, police say Powell had been planning the explosion since he failed to regain custody of his two sons at a February 1 court hearing.
Powell and his two sons were found dead in his home on Feb. 5. Powell reportedly attacked the boys with a hatchet, then set the home on fire. Investigators are still looking for the body of Powell's wife Susan, who went missing in 2009 in Utah. Josh Powell was a person of interest in her disappearance.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor