South Carolina mother faces charges after maggots found in baby's diaper
NBC affiliate WYFF reports the baby boy also tested positive for drug exposure. According to a police report, Michelle Butler, 20, took the child to someone's apartment, where they told her to get medical attention for the baby who appeared to have a fever.
The report said the other person eventually called 911 and the infant was taken to a local hospital, where an officer accompanied the baby to the emergency room and said when nurses removed his diaper, several maggots fell out of it.
The baby's blood and urine were tested, and came back positive for exposure to marijuana, the report stated.
Police checked Butler's home and located baby food, formula and diapers, but said the apartment was very messy and unclean.
Butler is charged with unlawful neglect of a child, and has been released from jail on bond.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: 2 NY men arrested in alleged radiation terror plot
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands