Rapper Ronald "Ra Diggs" Herron charged with three murders
According to the New York Daily News, Herron is charged in the 2001 death of Frederick Brooks, and the slayings of Richard Russo in 2008 and Victor Zapata in 2009.
Prosecutors had attempted to try Herron for Brooks's death previously, but witnesses reportedly declined to testify against him.
The Daily News reports that prosecutors say Herron later tweeted about beating the rap, posting on the social media site that "beat a body."
Herron has been behind bars since 2010 when he was one of nine people arrested and charged with running a crack and heroin ring out of the Gowanus Houses in Brooklyn.
"Ronald Herron and his gang terrorized a Brooklyn community for more than a decade and he temporarily got away with murder by threatening and intimidating witnesses only to return to the streets of Brooklyn to kill and kill again," Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch said.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released