Authorities call off search for missing SC woman Dara Watson
(CBS/AP) MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. - Authorities have called off a search for a 30-year-old woman whose burned car was discovered on a dirt road and whose fiance was found dead in his home last Friday.
On Thursday, Dara Watson's mother reported her missing, saying she was last seen Monday, Feb. 6, when she left Boone, N.C. after visiting her parents.
Watson's burned out SUV was found on Wednesday and according to the Post and Courier newspaper, her cell phone was last used around 7:30 pm Wednesday, though it is unclear whether she spoke to anyone.
About 75 people searched for Watson in the Francis Marion National Forest near where her car was found, reports the Post and Courier newspaper.
"We've had dogs searching the area looking for bodies. We've been looking for evidence," Mount Pleasant Police Chief Harry Sewell told the Post and Courier Saturday.
"We don't really know what we're looking for," he said. "We've been searching all day long."
Charleston County Sheriff's Maj. Jim Brady says the search was suspended about 3:30 p.m. Sunday.
Officers who searched Watson's home in Mount Pleasant on Friday found the body of her fiance, 34-year-old David Hedrick. Authorities have not said how Hedrick died.
Brady says investigators don't have any leads on other places where Watson might be.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands