Wrong number still works out right for stroke victim, 1300 miles away
(CBS/AP) CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio. - A woman who called the wrong number while suffering a stroke somehow still wound up dialing the right number.
Cuyahoga Falls resident Loretta Smith felt her right side go numb and fell to the floor the weekend before last. The 70-year-old Smith said she was able to grab the phone with her left hand, and thought she was calling her son.
But Smith was really was one digit off, and instead a man in the Denver area, some 1,300 miles away, picked up her call. Turns out he was originally from northeast Ohio, and had kept the same number after he moved.
"It was a woman, and she said 'I may be having a stroke," said Kenny Crater, 28. He asked for her name and address and offered to get help. His 911 call was answered by Colorado police who transferred his call back to Ohio.
Loretta Smith was rushed to the hospital where it was determined that she had suffered a mini-stroke.
Smith said Carter saved her life. "I want this kid to be praised to high heaven," she said.
Crater humbly took it all in stride.
"I didn't save her," he said. "She found me."
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Details surface about Zimmerman jury candidate pool
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender