Joran van der Sloot sentenced to 28 years behind bars for the murder of Stephany Flores
(CBS/AP) LIMA, Peru - A Peruvian court has sentenced Joran van der Sloot to 28 years in prison for murder of a young woman he met at a Lima casino.
Friday's decision comes two days after the young Dutchman pleaded guilty to killing Stephany Flores. The court also ordered him to pay $75,000 in reparations to the family of the 21-year-old victim.
Under Peru's penal system, Van der Sloot could become eligible for parole after serving half of the sentence with good behavior, including work and study.
Prosecutors asked for a 30-year sentence for first-degree murder and theft in the killing of Flores, who died five years to the day after U.S. teen Natalee Holloway, who was last seen with van der Sloot, disappeared on the island of Aruba.
Van der Sloot's attorney argued that his client should receive a lighter sentence because he was suffering from post-traumatic stress relating to the anniversary of Holloway's disappearance at the time of Flores' murder.
On Wednesday, Van der Sloot pleaded "anticipated conclusion of the process," admitting he strangled Flores in a Lima hotel room.
On Thursday, an Alabama judge officially declared Holloway - who went missing in May 2005 - dead. The 24-year-old Dutchman remains the prime suspect in the case and Holloway's parents want him extradited to the United States to be tried charges he tried to extort her family.
According to van der Sloot, he killed Flores in a fit of rage after she discovered information on his laptop about his involvement in the Holloway case.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico