Joran van der Sloot sentenced to 28 years behind bars for the murder of Stephany Flores
(CBS/AP) LIMA, Peru - A Peruvian court has sentenced Joran van der Sloot to 28 years in prison for murder of a young woman he met at a Lima casino.
Friday's decision comes two days after the young Dutchman pleaded guilty to killing Stephany Flores. The court also ordered him to pay $75,000 in reparations to the family of the 21-year-old victim.
Under Peru's penal system, Van der Sloot could become eligible for parole after serving half of the sentence with good behavior, including work and study.
Prosecutors asked for a 30-year sentence for first-degree murder and theft in the killing of Flores, who died five years to the day after U.S. teen Natalee Holloway, who was last seen with van der Sloot, disappeared on the island of Aruba.
Van der Sloot's attorney argued that his client should receive a lighter sentence because he was suffering from post-traumatic stress relating to the anniversary of Holloway's disappearance at the time of Flores' murder.
On Wednesday, Van der Sloot pleaded "anticipated conclusion of the process," admitting he strangled Flores in a Lima hotel room.
On Thursday, an Alabama judge officially declared Holloway - who went missing in May 2005 - dead. The 24-year-old Dutchman remains the prime suspect in the case and Holloway's parents want him extradited to the United States to be tried charges he tried to extort her family.
According to van der Sloot, he killed Flores in a fit of rage after she discovered information on his laptop about his involvement in the Holloway case.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase