Cyber-bullied Michigan girl dies from Huntington's disease
(CBS/AP) - WYANDOTTE, Mich. - A 9-year-old girl who endured cyber-bullying because of her diagnosis of Huntington's disease has died.
Kathleen Edward's plight made national news in 2010 when a former neighbor posted pictures on Facebook that pictured the then 7-year-old above a set of crossbones, and one with the little girl's mother, Laura Edward, who died of Huntington's disease in 2009, in the arms of the grim reaper.
The former neighbor, Jennifer Petkov, also allegedly attached a coffin to her truck, labeled the vehicle "Death Machine," and drove it around the neighborhood honking the horn after Laura Edward's death, according to CBS Detroit.
Residents told the station that the taunting was set off by a feud between the Petkovs and other neighborhood families.
In October 2010, Petkov was charged with assault after she allegedly tried to run over a neighbor who was going to visit the Edward family. She later pleaded guilty to assault and battery in the case and was ordered to undergo anger management, a psychological evaluation and complete 18 months of probation. She was also told to move out of the neighborhood, reported CBS Detroit.
According to Kathleen's father, the girl died Wednesday at home. She will be buried next to her mother.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"