DNA evidence links 1991 Sarah Yarborough murder to Colonial Mass. family
CNN reports that the DNA sample was recovered from the body of 16-year-old Sarah Yarborough, who was killed on her high school campus in Dec. 1991.
The King County Sheriff's Office sent the DNA profile to Colleen Fitzpatrick, a California-based forensic consultant, who compared the profile to others in genealogy databases and found a match to the family of Robert Fuller, who settled in Salem, Mass. in 1630 and had relatives that had come over before him on the Mayflower, reports CNN.
Though Robert Fuller likely has thousands of descendants after nearly 400 years, Fitzpatrick says the geography and physical characteristics may be able help detectives narrow their search, and since the DNA trace follows male descendants, it is highly probable that the name of the man they're looking for has the name "Fuller."
"The most important thing is having a last name," Fitzpatrick told CNN. "People get excited about having a Mayflower connection, but the most important thing is having a probable last name for this guy."
The DNA Fitzpatrick used came from one of many major collections of genetic profiles, she told CNN, where people give their DNA profiles to the database.
"It allows you to connect with relatives you can't trace through traditional documentation," she said.
In this case, it could possibly connect a suspect to a decades-old cold case.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker