Report: Missing Texas 14-year-old mistakenly deported to Colombia
According to CBS affiliate KHOU Jakadrien Turner ran away from home in the fall of 2010 following her parents divorce and the death of her grandfather. She ended up in Houston, where she was arrested for theft. The girl gave police a fake name, which apparently belonged to a 22-year-old illegal immigrant from Colombia, who had warrants for her arrest.
KHOU reports that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) took the girl's fingerprints, but didn't confirm her identity before deporting her.
Jakadrien reportedly speaks no Spanish.
"How do you deport a teenager and send her to Colombia without a passport, without anything?" asks the girl's grandmother, Lorene Turner, who was able to track the girl down through Facebook.
"She talked about how they had her working in this big house cleaning all day, and how tired she was," Turner said.
A month ago, U.S. authorities asked police to pick up the girl at the embassy in Colombia, but the country reportedly won't release her and she is still being held in a detention facility.
In a statement Tuesday, ICE said they were looking into the matter:
"ICE takes these allegations very seriously," said ICE Director of Public Affairs Brian Hale. "At the direction of [the Department of Homeland Security], ICE is fully and immediately investigating this matter in order to expeditiously determine the facts of this case."
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot