Report: Missing Texas 14-year-old mistakenly deported to Colombia
According to CBS affiliate KHOU Jakadrien Turner ran away from home in the fall of 2010 following her parents divorce and the death of her grandfather. She ended up in Houston, where she was arrested for theft. The girl gave police a fake name, which apparently belonged to a 22-year-old illegal immigrant from Colombia, who had warrants for her arrest.
KHOU reports that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) took the girl's fingerprints, but didn't confirm her identity before deporting her.
Jakadrien reportedly speaks no Spanish.
"How do you deport a teenager and send her to Colombia without a passport, without anything?" asks the girl's grandmother, Lorene Turner, who was able to track the girl down through Facebook.
"She talked about how they had her working in this big house cleaning all day, and how tired she was," Turner said.
A month ago, U.S. authorities asked police to pick up the girl at the embassy in Colombia, but the country reportedly won't release her and she is still being held in a detention facility.
In a statement Tuesday, ICE said they were looking into the matter:
"ICE takes these allegations very seriously," said ICE Director of Public Affairs Brian Hale. "At the direction of [the Department of Homeland Security], ICE is fully and immediately investigating this matter in order to expeditiously determine the facts of this case."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom