Surveillance cameras catch NYC thief stealing, returning presents
(CBS) NEW YORK - Surveillance cameras caught a thief both stealing and then returning presents to a Staten Island home.
Mike Valloney's home security cameras recorded a man stealing presents that had been delivered to his Staten Island front porch, reports CBS New York.
"I noticed that this package, this package and this package were missing," Valloney reportedly said, pointing things out on the video. "And all I saw was this one."
"I guess he was doing his holiday shopping and he stopped in front of the house. I could see him come up the walkway again, come back with the packages and then placed them in his shopping cart."
Valloney, who is a retired NYPD detective, brought the video to his neighborhood police precinct.
Vallony says he's convinced the man saw the surveillance video on a local TV news channel, and it may have sparked a change of heart, CBS New York.
Two days later security cameras reportedly recorded the thief returning to the home with a bag filled with Valloney's presents and a cardboard note.
"The note said, 'this is all I took. I'm so sorry and Happy New Year. I just want to do right for this New Year,'" Valloney said, CBS New York reports.
Valloney reportedly said that not only has he forgiven the thief, he'd like to meet him.
An early 2012 redemption story.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: 2 NY men arrested in alleged radiation terror plot