Ex-Boston Bruin Mike Milbury accused of assaulting 12-year-old
(CBS/AP) BOSTON - Former Boston Bruins player and coach Mike Milbury is facing misdemeanor assault and battery charges after allegedly assaulting a 12-year-old Pee Wee hockey player who was arguing with his son, police say.
Milbury, who is an assistant coach of his son's team, allegedly grabbed, threatened and shook an opposing team's player as the teams were shooting around following a Dec. 9 game at a town-owned rink, said Brookline police Capt. Tom Keaveney. The boy wasn't hurt, Keaveney said.
Milbury, 59, of Needham will be summoned to court to face misdemeanor charges including assault and battery on a 12-year-old, threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct. Keaveney said police have video evidence of the alleged attack.
Milbury denied an assault "of any kind" in a statement from his attorney.
Milbury, a former defenseman, played parts of 12 seasons with the Bruins and later served as coach, leading the team to the Stanley Cup finals in 1990, where they lost to Edmonton. He was also coach and general manager of the New York Islanders.
Milbury is now an NHL analyst with NBC Sports, which said Friday he'd been taken off the air. "We both came to the conclusion that he should remain off the air while focusing on his affairs," NBC Sports said in a statement.
Keaveney said police learned about the alleged assault from a parent who wasn't there, but heard about it afterward. He said officers interviewed witnesses, including the alleged victim, before bringing charges.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case