Federal prosecutors want prison time for former MLB player Barry Bonds
Court documents detail prosecutors are objecting to a recommendation by a federal probation officer that Bonds get only a probation when he's sentenced on Dec. 16.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports prosecutors recommended a 15-month prison sentence for the former San Francisco Giants' hitter saying he purposely gave misleading answers to a grand jury and evasive testimony about steroids.
The grand jury was investigating a laboratory that distributed performance-enhancing drugs to professional athletes. Prosecutors said in a filing to the judge who will sentence Bonds that his actions were part of a "calculated plan to obfuscate and distract the grand jury from getting to the truth."
They said too that Bonds' sworn claims that he did not take steroids and a human growth hormone were "patently false," even though a jury deadlocked on three charges that he had committed perjury.
"Bonds' pervasive efforts to testify falsely, to mislead the grand jury, to dodge questions, and to simply refuse to answer questions in the grand jury makes his conduct worthy of a significant jail sentence," prosecutors told U.S. District Judge Susan Illston.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15