Virginia Tech reports 2 dead, gunman sought
(CBS/AP/WDBJ) Blacksburg, Va. - Virginia Tech University says a police officer and another person are dead after shots were fired on campus Thursday. Authorities were seeking the gunman.
A news release from the school says that the Virginia Tech police officer was shot and killed shortly after noon today during a routine traffic stop in the Coliseum parking lot.
The school's web site said "the shooter fled on foot heading toward the Cage, a parking lot near Duck Pond Drive. At that parking lot, a second person was found. That person is also deceased."
Virginia Tech's twitter feed described the suspect: "white male, gray sweat pants, gray hat w/neon green brim, maroon hoodie and backpack."
Virginia State Police will be taking over the investigation, according to the university.
The shooting came the same day as Virginia Tech, which has an enrollment of about 30,000, was appealing a $55,000 fine by the U.S. Education Department in connection with the university's response to the 2007 rampage, when a student gunman killed 32 students and faculty and then shot himself, in the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.
Classes are not in session today. It's a "reading day" before the scheduled start of semester final exams tomorrow.
More on Crimesider
Dec. 8, 2011 - Virginia Tech reports shots fired on campus
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home