Mohler Family Sex Crimes Case: Wife Found Incest Porno, Say Cops
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. (CBS/AP) Incest pornography.
That's what authorities investigating six members of the Mohler family for alleged sex crimes against related children in rural Missouri say they found in one suspect's home, and it was the suspect's wife who led them to it.
The search warrant issued last week after the arrest of Burrell E. Mohler Sr., 77, of Independence, said investigators seized several items from Mohler's home, including four computer towers, several pornographic magazines and books, several DVDs, and cameras.
While incest is illegal, pornography depicting simulated incest is often not.
Mohler, his four adult sons and his brother, Darrel W. Mohler, 72, of Silver Springs, Fla., have been charged with raping and molesting several young relatives over roughly a decade. Accusations include impregnating at least two young girls and forcing one to have an abortion when she was 11.
Col. Ben Kenney of the Jackson County, Mo., sheriff's department said Wednesday that several booklets found at the home were about incest.
"The thing that was unusual was the title and the references," he said. "They were very explicit. ... It was all on sex with family members."
He said the computers that were seized were sent to an FBI lab in Kansas City for review.
The Jackson County warrant was issued Nov. 11, the day after Mohler and his sons were arrested.
Sandra Mohler, the wife of Burrell Mohler Sr., told detectives she found some of the material "that made reference to incest activity among family members" in a false ceiling of the basement, the warrant said. She locked the material in a file cabinet about two months ago, according to the warrant.
She said when she discovered the pornographic material she made an arrangement with her husband for him "to move to the basement area of the residence," according to the document.
No one answered the door Wednesday at the address identified in the search warrant. Calls to the home also were not answered.
Mohler Sr. and his sons - Burrell Mohler Jr., 53, of Independence; Jared Leroy Mohler, 48, of Columbia; Roland Neil Mohler, 47, of Bates City; and David A. Mohler, 52, of Lamoni, Iowa - face several felony counts of rape and use of a child in a sexual performance.
Most of the men did not have lawyers Wednesday, according to the Lafayette County clerk's office. Jared Mohler's lawyer, Tim Larimore, did not return calls seeking comment.
Some family members, however, have questioned the plausibility of the charges against the men.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
November 19, 2009 - Court Doc: Mohler Family Forced Children to Help Kill a Man and Bury Him
November 18, 2009 - Mohler Family: Relative Questions Tales of Rape, Sodomy, and Murder
November 12, 2009 - Cops: Child-Raping Missouri Family May Have Bodies in Yard
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death