Richmond High Gang Rape: Six Plead Not Guilty to Raping Teen While Others Watched
RICHMOND, Calif. (CBS/AP) Prosecutors say at least six young men, some not even old enough to drive, raped and beat a 15-year-old girl outside Richmond High School in California while others watched, laughed, and took cell phone pictures.
Now, the six defendants, ranging in age from 15 to 21, have pleaded not guilty to the charges against them. They entered their pleas to rape and other charges Tuesday morning in Contra Costa County Superior Court.
The juveniles — 15-year-old Cody Ray Smith, 16-year-old Ari Morales and 17-year-old Marcelles Peter — are being charged as adults. The other defendants are Jose Montano, Manuel Ortega and Elvis Torrentes.
Authorities say they participated in the gang rape outside Richmond High School's homecoming dance on Oct. 24, 2009.
Investigators believe as many as 10 people raped the victim, while another 20 or so watched without calling police.
The victim of the homecoming gang-rape spoke out Nov. 3 in a written statement, which was read at a rally and candlelight vigil.
"We realize people are angry about this," the statement said. "But let the anger cause change; change that is necessary to keep our children, our neighbors and our friends safe. We thank everyone for their love, support and ongoing prayers."
All defendants are due back in court on Jan. 21 to set a date for their preliminary hearings.
MORE ON CRMESIDER
November 5, 2009 - While Dozens Gawked at Richmond Rape, One Brave Girl Called 911
October 30, 2009 - Will Richmond High Gang Rape Gawkers Go Free?
October 29, 2009 - Richmond High School Gang-Rape: 4 Teens Charged Could Face Life in Prison
October 28, 2009 - Richmond High School Gang Rape: Three More Arrests in Homecoming Attack
October 27, 2009 - Richmond High School Gang-Rape in California: Others Watched and Did Nothing, Say Cops
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot