Muslim Wife Slashed Husband's Neck Over Booze, Pork and Miniskirts, Say Prosecutors
NEW YORK (CBS/AP) Prosecutors in New York say a devoutly religious Muslim woman, Rabia Sarwar, slashed her husband's neck after he introduced her to booze, pork, and miniskirts.
Sarwar's defense lawyer says his client was "emotionally abused" and forced to violate her religious beliefs.
Sarwar is free on bail after appearing in a Staten Island court Thursday on attempted murder and other charges.
Her lawyer, Joe Licitra, said Sarwar's husband "got her to drink alcohol, eat pork" and wear clothing that violated her Muslim beliefs.
Sheikh "Eddie" Naseem, who has surface wounds on his neck, face and hands, said his wife needs psychological help. Licitra said Sarwar was previously treated for depression.
Naseem told the New York Post that Sarwar, a native of Pakistan, was having a hard time adjusting to American culture.
Said Naseem: "There was no gun pointed to her head to do these things."
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship